Wednesday, February 11, 2009

(Bio)plastics

So I'm going through the catalogues and vendor lists to find a product that we can give to our guests at RH that offers them good tasting water, while staying true to sustainability.  

Currently we use Earth H2O, which I now think is a bit of an oxymoron.  I first thought we should move to some sort of bioplastic to replace these bottles; but then I realized that that wasn't going to work because the water breaks down the corn-based plastic too quickly.  In the course of my basic learning about these kinds of plastics, though, it was pointed out that all the corn that goes into these plastics requires a high level of processing, which requires a high amount of resources, which means that there's a large carbon footprint left during the entire process.  

Two things: A friend told me that it's important not to get on board too fast with faddish ideas, no matter if it's green or not.  And secondly, another friend reminded me of that the reduce, reuse, recycle motto is a hierarchy, not just randomly ordered.  

Both are good to keep in mind, right?

No comments: